Sunday, November 16, 2014

Essay Four Proposal


I plan of revising my essay one, which analyzed gender portrayals of advertising in a Carl’s Junior commercial. I selected this essay for expansion because I feel that I only analyzed a small portion of this highly controversial subject. I only addressed the female gender portrayals and didn’t include this topic in the “bigger picture”. To further develop, I will compare the female’s role in comparison to that of male’s in these Carl’s Junior commercials. I think that it will be interesting to compare how each is presented in reference to physical appearance and presence. Advertising companies, such as Carl’s Junior use the tactics as stated in “Men’s Men and Women’s Women” to reel in their intended audience. As I state in my original essay, women are made out to be almost unreal. I will research and diversify the difference to that of men.

Key Terms:

·         Gender roles in advertising

·         Carl’s Junior jalepeno burger commercials

·         Female versus male portrayals in advertising

·         Sexism in advertising

·         Gender roles in the 21st century

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me with the black on black:)
    This is a good start. I would think about perhaps comparing this campaign to the one used in the Dr. Pepper commercials (the ones targeting men). It would be interesting to analyze how both genders are stereotyped in ads. One difference here would be that the women stereotyped in the Carl's Jr. ads target men and are fairly straight forward if tongue-in-cheek. The men in the Dr. Pepper ads also target men and are men to parody male stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete